Sunday, June 14, 2009

What a week

This is going to be a long post so please bear with me...

At church last Sunday we began a sermon series over the book The Shack by William Paul Young. I have not read it yet, but it is up next on my reading list. Anyway, last week's message was "If only I had..." It was a really good sermon that really got me thinking how often that comes to mind. "If only I had finished early, If only I had not been so lazy yesterday..." I feel very thankful that I don't have any major regrets in my life so far. I didn't realize that I would have these words come to my mind just two days later.

On Monday my mom and I packed up and drove my sister to Dallas for dance camp. We had a beautiful hotel room on a lake. It was a perfect place to spend a week with my mom, who is also my best friend. The trip started out wonderful. We went shopping on Tuesday at an awesome outlet mall and I found tons of great bargains. We got back to the hotel around 7 and were going to head out to dinner with some of the other dance moms when my mom's cell phone rang. I knew right away that the news was not good. My aunt called to say that she thought my grandmother had a stroke and that the ambulance was on the way to get her. Since they weren't sure what the prognosis was, my aunt said we should stay. My mom was so unsure of what to do since we had obligations in Dallas to help with the girls. My mom looked to me for some advice and that's when I knew that I did not want my mom to ever have to say "If only I had gone home sooner". So we packed up very quickly and made other arrangements for the girls (thanks to some wonderful dance moms) and headed home at 8 that night. We got home around 2:30 in the morning and my mom was at the hospital first thing the next morning. My grandmother is doing as well as can be expected. Luckily she did not have a stroke, but did have pneumonia and that caused a lack of oxygen to her brain. She is still in the hospital, but is being moved tomorrow to a rehab facility. She is 95 years old and is doing as well as can be expected. Wow...that was a long story. There was more to my week which includes some major furniture purchasing and a family reunion but that will be another post. Have a great Monday tomorrow!

1 comment:

Cori said...

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear that. I will definitely be praying for your grandmother and your family.