Saturday, February 21, 2009

95 Years and Going Strong

This week my grandmother turned 95 years old. We are celebrating tomorrow at one of her favorite restraunts, AQ Chicken House. I have been thinking a lot about my grandma this week and what a legacy she is leaving for her family. She is absolutely one of the strongest women I know. She survived the Great Depression, picking oranges in California, a house fire where she lost everything, her husband having a stroke and leaving her far before his time...the list goes on and on. Despite everything she went through in life, she never let it get her down.

I have so many fond memories of time the two of us spent together that I thought I would list a few. When I was little I would spend the night with my grandma on the weekends sometimes. One of my favorite things we would do together was put together puzzles. I can remember her trying to put the wrong pieces together. I would tell her "no grandma, they don't go" She would always reply, "you don't know unless you try". There are times now where I can hear in the back of my mind her saying those words. Often it is when I am nervous or contemplating something new.

Another favorite memory I have is her vanilla milk. I could never figure out how she made that milk taste so good...she told me that it was her secret recipe. She would always make me a glass right before bed when I spent the night with her. We had many late night chats over a couple glasses of the "special" milk.

My list of memories could go on and on forever. I know that the chances of her meeting my children some day are slim. Her health is declining and she isn't always her self these days. I am just so thankful that I have these wonderful memories of my granmother that I can pass on to my children some day.

No comments: